An academic symposium on “Change and Continuity: Interdisciplinary Aspects of Animation, Comics and Literature” is organised by SAS and Stuttgart International Animation Festival. Read the call for papers.
This one-day symposium (25 April 2013) is organized by the 20th Stuttgart International Animation Festival ( 23-28 April 2013), in collaboration with the Society for Animation Studies, the School of Art, Design and Media at Nanyang Technological University Singapore, the Institute of Media Studies at Eberhard Karls University Tuebingen and the Literaturhaus Stuttgart.
It invites abstracts for 20-minute presentations and welcomes proposals on all aspects of cross-disciplinary influences and relations between literature, comics (graphic novels) and animation/film.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
- Adaptations of written literature for comics and/or animation/film
- Adaptations of comics and graphic novels as animation or live action films
- Historical studies on communalities between comics and animation
- Influence of comics on animation and vice versa: historic and current
- Comic adaptations of life action and animation films
- Comic artists as designers for animation and life action
- Games and comics
- New hybrid forms between comics and animation: motion comics, animated comics, interactive comics
- Hybrid forms of written literature and comics/animation
- Animated poetry
- Analysis and comparisons of narrative structures in literature, comics and animation
- Avant-garde approaches of combing and re-inventing the media in new context
- Graphic journalism
- Sequential visual storytelling
- Animation and illustration
The symposium is aiming to be highly interdisciplinary and international in nature, bringing together scholars, students, academics and artists from diverse fields of research and professional practice. Proposals, which relate to the symposium topics in the wider sense will be preferred.
Please e-mail abstracts of 250 words maximum (excluding title) to the attention of the conference review committee at: sasconference_itfs[at]hannesrall.com
Abstracts should include name, affiliation, e-mail address, and the title of proposed paper. Please also provide a short CV, with a maximum of 300 words as a separate document.
Deadline for submissions: Friday, February 18, 2013. Authors of accepted papers will be notified in the third week of March.
The call is open to all interested scholars, researchers and practitioners.
Accepted speakers as well as visitors of the symposium will need to get an accreditation for professionals at the Stuttgart International Festival of Animated Film 2013.
This will allow full access to the symposium as well as to the complete program of Stuttgart International Festival of Animated Film for a very moderate fee-details will follow closer to the conference date.